This "all middle school version" is from our #1 Best-Selling Nutrition Unit!! This is a stand-alone resource with all middle/junior high healthy eating lessons.
Click here for a preview of this product.
Students LOVE this unit because it’s personalized to them.
This Nutrition Unit will empower your students with the knowledge and skills to make healthy nutritional choices.
Students will be reading food labels, learning about nutrients, measuring sugar and fat in products, calculating the difference exercise can make, understanding the dangers of eating disorders, working on good self-esteem, analyzing habits, and so much more. And you can choose to use the printed or online versions!!
>> Integrated Skills Based, Content Based / Knowledge Based. The best of both worlds.
>> Meets all MS National Health Education Standards.
>> Meets all MS Technical Subjects Health Common Core Standards.
>> Meets all Washington State’s rigorous Health Education Standards.
- This is an editable “For Print” curriculum created in Word and PowerPoint.
- I just finished an amazing update. There are now all-new photos AND on all High School Nutrition PowerPoints!
- Step -by-step Teacher Directions walk you through each lesson! The numbered directions match PowerPoint slide #'s to walk you through lessons!
- -"Teacher Directions”
- -“Student Worksheets" and
- -“PowerPoints” are editable for print AND online on .
- Includes middle school nutrition student worksheets, surveys, and tests created on Google Slides !
! Simply my "Student Docs Google Slideshow" (which includes fill-in text boxes) to your computer (Yes- text boxes remain intact!) and !
- Includes a I created to show you not only ; but also how to use the Google Slideshows, how Microsoft users can use my Google Slideshows, how to send only one day's lessons to your students, how to add new information/pages to a Google Slideshow, how to edit and upload worksheets, how to voice-over slides, and more!
: Lessons are all kid-tested, revised, edited, and have been deemed "a fun unit" by the high standards of my many students!
: NEWLY UPDATED STATISTICS, ARTICLES AND VIDEO LINKS
- Will this program be easy to teach? Yes! It’s not just a unit outline. Highly organized step-by-step teacher directions follow PowerPoints, and the directions suggest just what to say and do!
- Is this program researched-based? Yes, in this curriculum you will find health goals and behavioral outcomes that are research-based and theory-driven. Statistics, articles and videos are updated frequently.
- Should I buy this program or one created by a curriculum company? Why buy lessons designed by people who've possibly never taught in a classroom when you can get lessons from a teacher with a National Board Certification in Health and 19 years of experience teaching 9th grade Health? This curriculum is fun, interactive, and has engaging lessons, and it's amazingly more affordable than ones created by publishing companies!
- Will the lessons be effective for my students? Yes! It's been "teacher and kid tested." I've taught this Nutrition Unit and revised it, taught it again, perfected it, and improved it.
- What if I need to change a lesson? No problem! Documents and PowerPoints are editable and docs are included in both Word and PDF formats.
- Will my students like this program? Students love this program, and students who like what they’re learning are more likely to choose to actually use what they learned in their own lives!
- Top Heading for each lesson with State, National and Common Core standards met; Exit Tasks; Learning Targets; and Assessments
- Learning Target Posters and "Success Criteria" Worksheets
- Table of Content Links ALL daily lessons for quick navigation!
- Updated statistics throughout!
- Worksheets/activities that go with the lessons! (These are on Google Slides with fill-in text boxes!)
- "This is a lifesaver unit because it is fully developed and the teacher does not need to do anything but follow it."
- “Extremely satisfied: My students loved using this resource! They were engaged in the resource and had no trouble getting started. It didn’t take much time to prepare this resource! These are great for my kids in person and online.”
- “I really liked these resources- so many time-saving and fun activities.”
- “This is a lifesaver and a timesaver. Units are fully developed and the teacher does not need to do anything but follow it. I had no idea how I was going to teach this unit and this was amazing and easy to follow.”
Day 1, 2, 3: Understanding and Reading Label Ingredients
- Understanding processed foods
- Food label reading
- "Eat This Not That!" research
- “Ingredients Quiz”
- Students make “Best or Worst Foods” posters
Day 4+5: “Where is Your Health?” Assessment
- "Healthy Eating Survey"
- Food choices
- What to eat more of, what to eat less of!
- Goal posters
Day 6: Interactive Food Label
- Research article on reading labels
- Creating flip up food labels!
Day 7: Food Label Scramble
- Fat and sugar on a food label
- Understanding MyPlate
- Food scavenger hunt scramble around the room
- "Grocery Store Scavenger Hunt"
Day 8: Online Healthy Eating Goals
- Interactive goal-setting activity
- ★ NEW! ★ Fun apple online doodle art
- Research articles
Day 1: Intro to Nutrition
- MyPlate songs!
- "MyPlate Interactive Cut-out Activity"
- serving sizes
Day 2: Vending Machine Savvy
- What is a "Healthy School?"
- Understanding food labels
- "Food Label Reading Activity"
Day 3: Minerals
- Iron notes
- Understanding protein needs
- Protein supplements
- Dangers of Creatine
- Sodium facts
- “Personal Food Records”
Day 4+5: “Count Your Calcium Worksheet”
- “Think Your Drink Caffeine and Sugar Activity”
- Energy drink dangers
- Analyzing and ranking energy drinks activity
- "Are you Eating Healthy?’ Survey”
Day 6+7: How Diet Affects CANCER
- Cancer warning signs
- “Family Medical History Parent-Teen Communicator Homework”
- The benefits of exercise
- Longevity survey
Day 8: Online Exercise Goals
- ★ NEW! ★ Fun interactive "Exercise Goals!"
Day 9+10: “Analyzing Fad Diets Project” (“Is This Diet Healthy?”)
- Fad diet facts
- Types of fad diets and examples
- Health diet lists
- Students analyze a diet with a check list
- Present results to class
Day 1: Introduction to nutrition
- Obesity in the U.S.
- Unhealthy food choices
- Media literacy
- Why Americans are overweight
- Understanding calories
Day 2: ”Calories Activity”
- Analyzing food items
- Understanding calories and fat on a food label
Day 3: Fast Food Group Posters!
- Cholesterol notes
- Carbohydrates-the "good and bad"
- “Fast Food Restaurants Poster Posters”
Day 4: “Sugar and Fat Science Lab Experiment”
- Fat and sugar in baggies makes a striking impact!
- Soda and other high sugar examples
- "Water Extra Credit Activity"
- Good and bad carbohydrates
- How much sugar should I have?
Day 5: Using the “Mayo Clinic Food Guide Pyramid” or using the “USDA MyPlate” to eat balanced
- Are you getting your vitamins?
- The importance of breakfast
- Personalized food group tally and pyramid activities
Day 6: Food Label Reading
- Media literacy real examples!
- Trans fat and fast food examples
- Grocery store savvy and product manipulation
- Video examples
- “How to Read a Food Label Activity”
Day 7: “Food Label Reading” Part 2:
- “Food Label Scavenger Hunt”
Day 8: Being Healthy
- Taking “Eating Healthy for Life Survey” (what bad habits do I have?)
- Healthy versus unhealthy weight loss
- “Long-Term Goal Setting Activity”
Day 9: Understanding eating disorders
- Eating Disorders notes, facts, and videos
-Day 10: Improving Body Image
- ”Analyzing Media” video
- Media distortion and body image
- Body image art project
- “Love What’s Good Activity”
Day 11: Fun “Nutrition Facts Card Game”
- Nutrition Unit Test Review
Day 12: Nutrition Unit Test
These lessons are not meant to be used along with the High School Nutrition lessons as they share topics and are too similar.
Stay up to date with New Resources & Sales!!
Sign-Up for Updates
Check out our TpT Store
Follow our Social Media: Instagram & Pinterest
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ We value your reviews! After making a purchase and using our products, head back to this page to leave a review on our product ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Thank you so much for previewing!!
Health Education Today
* Professional Development Approved: Ask your school to purchase this curriculum for you!!
* School Purchase Orders Accepted: Simply follow the prompt for P.O.’s in your cart.
Copyright © Health Education Today, Inc. All rights reserved by the author.
Each purchase is for single use only and should not be shared with others.
The purchaser is granted permission to make duplicates for classroom use only. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the Internet are all strictly prohibited unless it is a password-protected student website. Violations are subject to penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.