TeacherPayTeachers #1 Best-Selling High School Nutrition Unit!!
These 4-week Nutrition lessons empower students with the knowledge and skills to make healthy nutritional choices, read food labels, understand nutrients, calculate the difference exercise can make, understand the dangers of eating disorders, work on good self-esteem, analyze habits, and so much more!!
Click here for a preview of this product.
>> Integrated Skills Based, Content Based / Knowledge Based. The best of both worlds.
>> Meets all HS National Health Education Standards.
>> Meets all HS Technical Subjects Health Common Core Standards.
>> Meets all Washington State’s rigorous Health Education Standards.
>> Aligned to New York Dept. of Education Commencement HS Health Standards.
>> Fact and Evidence based. Meets all 15 “Characteristics of an Effective Health Education Curriculum” set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
>> This resource is taken from our #1 Best-Selling High School Health Curriculum on Teacher Pay Teachers!!
★ : Students LOVE this unit because it’s personalized to them!! They will use formulas to figure out how many of each nutrient they need to eat per day!!
Calories for age and activity level per day
Protein Grams per day
Fat Grams Range per day
Carbohydrates per day
Sugar Grams and Sugar Calories per day
Water per day
Fiber per day
"'How Healthy Are You Eating?' Survey"
"Personal Health Survey"
“Emotional Eating Survey"
“Eating Disorders Survey"
"Personal Health Risk Survey"
"Eating Healthy For Life Survey"
★ Click to watch video features of our Health units!!
- TPT's #1 Best-Selling "Nutrition Unit" for Teens!
- 193 pages of step-by-step teacher directions.
- 449+ Nutrition PowerPoints slides to walk you through lessons!!
- Simply follow daily PowerPoints & Google Slides, suggesting what to say.
: Portion Sizes, Body Image, Obesity, Models With No Make-Up
NEW!! "Self-Advocacy Skills-Based Project" Student prompts included.
Updated statistics, videos, articles
- New PowerPoint backgrounds
- New photos and graphics.
- 38 video links
- "Nutrition Packet" students fill out as you go over the PowerPoint
in both WORD AND PDF.
NEW!!I We separated the high school and middle school "Nutrition Units" so they are now sold separately!! If you teach Middle School Health, click here for our Middle/Junior High School Health Curriculum.
● 142+ Google Slides and Forms: ALL STUDENT DOCS and POWERPOINTS for this “Mental Health Unit” are uploaded onto both google slides and forms.
● Google Classroom: You can assign Health worksheets in your Google Classroom or paperless environment using these student worksheets, surveys, and tests created on Google Slides with fill-in text boxes. Includes 10 Google Forms.
● Compatible with Microsoft platforms: Simply download "Student Docs Google Slideshow'' (includes fill-in text boxes) to your computer (text boxes remain intact). Simply upload and assign on your online Microsoft platform.
● Step-by-step Instructional Video: Shows you how to navigate my files and folders, how to use the Google Slideshows, how Microsoft users can use my Google Slideshows, how to send only one day's lessons to your students, how to add new information/pages to a Google Slideshow, how to edit and upload worksheets, how to voice-over slides, how to add an instructional video on top of slides, uploading to Google Drive tips, how to set up files for an organize Google Drive, and more!
- "This is a lifesaver unit because it is fully developed and the teacher does not need to do anything but follow it."
- "This is amazing and I can't wait to purchase the FULL semester Health!!!!!! This is any teacher's DREAM!!!!!! Everything you could ever want from an experienced teacher!! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!"
- "VERY thorough, activities are engaging and the students LOVED it!! Great resource!!"
- "Awesome unit!! I purchased the entire Health semester as a result. Thanks!!!!!!"
- "Our students loved using this resource!!" “Our health class was much more engaging thanks to you!!"
Day 1: INTRODUCTION TO UNIT AND ★NEW!!★ HARVARD HEALTHY EATING PLATE:
1. Diet advertising in our global market
2. How to discern ourths and untruths in diet ads!!
3. "How Healthy Are You Eating" survey
4. 5 reasons so many people are overweight
5. Portion sizes compared to 1950's!!
6. ★NEW!! Harvard Healthy Eating Plate
Day 2 + 3: ★NEW!! :
1. This activity will bring life-sized examples of nutritional consequences right into your classroom!! Students will be able to see tips and benefits, and some of the negative impacts of how nutrition impacts our bodies!! It adds a meaningful purpose to the Nutrition Unit, and will empower your teens!!
2. Each student will be assigned a body part (life size template included!!)
3. Students will use the worksheet with links provided to research the way an issue impacts their body part.
4. Class will end up with one "Positive" and one "Negative" body example of how nutrition impacts our bodies!!
5. "Drinking Water Extra Credit" program!!
" Students use provided links to articles on all these topics to complete two class bodies:
1. Brain Health/Mental Health
3. Healthy Hair
5. Heart Health
6. Healthy Hair
7. Belly Fat
9. Immune System
15. Weight and Growth
16. Building Muscle
19. Body Image
20. Joint Pain
Day 4: CALORIE AWARENESS:
1. Understanding how calories on a food label relate to suggested daily total
2. ♦Formula- Calories needed per day chart (according to age, gender, and activity level) From U.S.D.A. guidelines
3. "Calorie Awareness Worksheet" Help a boys named Marcus eat healthier!!
4. Students will start to use the "Harvard Healthy Plate Worksheet" to record their own personal formula totals!!
5. MYPLATE OPTIONAL: Because I'm now using the "Harvard Healthy Eating Plate," I have the MyPlate activities as optional, but they include worksheets, activities, personalized plate, and quiz!! (See Preview for more)
Day 5: UNDERSTANDING FAT AND FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS
1. -Healthy fats -vs- unhealthy fats. (Trans and Saturated Fats)
2. ♦Formula- How many fat grams should I eat per day?
3. -Fast food restaurants: Analyzing calories and fat.
4. Are there any healthy choices for me at fast food restaurants?
5. Start the "Fast Food Restaurant Posters"
Day 6: CARBOHYDRATES AND SUGAR
1. All about fat and sugar!!
2. ♦Formula- How many carbohydrates do I need per day?
3. ♦Formula- What should our grams limit on sugar be per day?
4. ♦Formula- What should our calorie limit on sugar be per day?
5. Analyzing food labels to know if a product is "healthy"
6. Fun “: Measure Crisco and sugar into baggies!!
7. Reflection to personalize
8. "Fat and Sugar Homework"
Day 7: CHOLESTEROL and MORE ON CARBOHYDRATES
1. Carbohydrates: the healthy (whole grains) and the unhealthy (sugar and white flour)
2. Understanding Diabetes
3. What is cholesterol?
4. ♦Formula- How much cholesterol do I need?
Day 8: MEDIA LITERACY READING FOOD LABELS
1. Media literacy and grocery store manipulation
2. “Food Label Reading Worksheet” and activity
3. "Interactive Food Label Activity"
4. Food label reading video
Day 9: FOOD LABEL SCAVENGER HUNTS
1. - "Food Label Scavenger Hunt" (NEW!!!! Now on Google Drive to save paper!!)
2. - "Food Label Scramble"
3. - Both of these activities have students walking around the room reading food labels
Day 10: IRON, PROTEIN, SODIUM, FOOD RECORDS, CALCIUM
1. ♦Formula- Protein: How much do I need?
2. What does protein do for the body?
3. Should I take a protein supplement?
4. "Building Muscle Brochure"
5. ♦Formula- Iron, sodium, and sodium: Their importance and how much do I need of each?
6. The importance of calcium for teens
7. ♦Formula- "‘How Much Calcium do I Need Daily?’ Worksheet"
Day 11: DANGER OF ENERGY DRINKS
1. “The Dangers of Energy Drinks” Activity
2. "Athletes and Energy Drinks" article
3. Energy drink dangers videos
Day 12: CANCER, FAMILY MEDICAL HISTORY, EXERCISE
1. Understanding Cancer
2. Cancer warning signs"
3. "Dear 16-Year Old Me" Video
4. “Family Medical History Homework"
5. Why is exercise important?
6. Exercise video and review sheet
7. How many calories does different exercises burn?
9. FITT Plans
10. Longevity and goal setting
Day 13: EATING HEALTHY FOR LIFE!!
1. “Eating Healthy for Life Survey” and goal-setting
2. Habits, the brain, and eating
3. Fun Doodle Notes Goal Setting Activity!! (Templates provided!!)
Day 14: UNHEALTHY EATING AND EATING DISORDERS
1. Understanding eating disorders
2. “Eating Disorders Self-Survey”
3. "Emotions and Eating Survey"
4. Understanding the symptoms of anorexia and bulimia.
5. Eating disorders videos choices
Day 15: IMPROVING BODY IMAGE
1. The importance of positive body image
2. Analyzing media's false messages
3. Improving body image videos
4. "Body Image Brochure"
5. "Real Models Without Their Make-Up Presentation!!"
6. "Love What's Good, Change What You Could" Activity
7. Cube art project
Day 16 + 17: ANALYZING FAD DIETS, NUTRITION GAME REVIEW
1. Amazing “Is This Diet Healthy?” activity. Students learn 10 questions to ask to see if a diet is healthy or not. For the rest of their lives your students will have the skills to determine if a diet is healthy!!
2. "Is This Diet Healthy?" Lesson with PowerPoint and student share out
3. Top Healthiest Diets Website
4. Why many Diets DON’T work
5. Why a diet needs to be a "diet for life"
6. Unhealthy habits and how to successfully lose or gain weight.
DAY 18: PERSONAL HEALTH HABITS
1. "Where is Your Health?" personal food habits survey with 60 questions!!
2. Acronym art activity
3. Personal Health Assessment
Day 19: NUTRITION UNIT ASSESSMENT GAME REVIEW
1. Unit Assessment Review Handout
2. Fun "Nutrition Unit Assessment Board Game"
3. Optional: I couldn't resist!! I also included a fun "Nutrition Card Game" to help review for the test as well!!
Day 20: NUTRITION TEST
1. Nutrition Unit Assessment
2. Optional videos
OPTIONAL DAY: G.M.O.S-GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS
1. G.M.O.s group research
2. G.M.O. videos
3. Quiz and correct
4. Group debates!!
Stay up to date with New Resources & Sales!!
Sign-Up for Updates
Check out our TpT Store
Follow our Social Media: Instagram & Pinterest
- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ We value your reviews! After making a purchase and using our products, head back to this page to leave a review on our product ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Thank you so much for previewing!!
Health Education Today
* Professional Development Approved: Ask your school to purchase this curriculum for you!!
* School Purchase Orders Accepted: Simply follow the prompt for P.O.’s in your cart.
Copyright © Health Education Today, Inc. All rights reserved by the author.
Each purchase is for single use only and should not be shared with others.
The purchaser is granted permission to make duplicates for classroom use only. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the Internet are all strictly prohibited unless it is a password-protected student website. Violations are subject to penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.